*This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links. That means if you make a purchase through a link in this post, I earn an affiliate income or commission at no additional cost to you.
A few years ago, I began my healthy eating journey and was trying to eat less meat.
However, I was struggling to come up with meatless options.
I was sick of eating tofu over and over again and I honestly didn’t know what else to make.
Then I discovered the world of dal!
This recipe was inspired by my friend who grew up in an Indian household. She was always bringing in amazing-smelling dishes for lunch.
After a lot of questions, she gladly shared tips on how to recreate these delicious dishes at home.
I don’t think I could ever replace her mom’s amazing cooking, but this is my attempt at recreating an easy one-pot green lentil dal recipe.
What is Dal (Daal)
Dal is a staple dish in India. This term is used for a dish made from split pulses (legumes). Dal can be made from lentils, peas, and beans.
Dal is a great vegetarian meal that’s high in protein and fiber. As always, I load mine up with extra vegetables for more nutrients.
Green Lentil Dal Recipe
This is a high protein dish that’s ready in 45 minutes.
I love to make Dal as part of my weekly meal prep for a healthy high protein lunch throughout the week.
In the wintertime or wet spring days, I always want something warm and comforting.
This is my go-to dish.
All you need for this dish is a medium pot, a fine-mesh strainer, and lentils of course.
You can make it with green or red lentils, but you’ll just need to adjust the cooking time depending on which ones you choose.
I love to serve it over a bed of brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
This dish keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days so it’s the perfect Sunday meal-prep meal to eat all week.
Instant Pot Vegan Lentil Dal Recipe
If you want to make this recipe in less time, you can throw it into your pressure cooker.
Program your pressure cooker to saute mode. Add coconut oil, onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom, and cumin.
Cook for about 2 minutes until onion is translucent and fragrant. Turn off your pressure cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
Program your pressure cooker to pressure cook for 15 minutes. Once it’s finished, quick release, stir and enjoy!
Easy Vegan Lentil Dal Recipe
- Medium stainless steel pot
- Fine-mesh Strainer
- Small Frying Pan
- 1 Cup Green or Red Lentils (see note)
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Tbs Cumin
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbs Ginger Finely Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Low-sodium Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Carrots chopped
- 1 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- Rinse lentils in cool water in a fine mesh strainer. Remove any debris from lentils.
- Add lentils, carrots and veggies, vegetable broth or water, and coconut milk to a medium pot. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes for red lentils or 30 minutes for green lentils.
- **Note- for Green Lentils add an additional 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, heat frying pan over medium heat. Once it's hot, add oil and cardamom, garlic, ginger, and cumin. Stir about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add onion. Cook an additional 4 minutes until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add turmeric and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Once lentils are soft drain any excess liquid.
- Add spice mixture to lentils and stir well.
- Serve over a bed of rice or quinoa. Add fresh cilantro or lime juice. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for other meatless recipes, you’ll also love this tofu stir-fry.
Make sure to sign up for my mailing list to stay up to date on all of the latest recipes.
Also, join my free Facebook Group for more healthy meal ideas and tips for eating healthier.